Sunday 3 June 2007

Roaring 20s alive and well in Paris

It's not prohibition, but Yves Riquet's speakeasy is the best excuse for drinking rye whiskey that I've found yet. Generous bon-vivant Yves shares his glowing enthusiasm, passion and extraordinary knowledge of the jazz era with friends, musicians, artists, dancers and, well, acquaintances like me. We met at the 4th of July party I organised in 2006 around the theme of the 20s. Lucky me - Saturday or Sunday afternoons at his cave in the 18th arrondissement are convivial, enlightening and sparkling FUN. Players from the troupe of the Josephine Baker musical came along to the opening and chatted and performed, pianists Jean-Paul Amoureux and Pierre Bertrand are regulars, and Axel Zwingenberger and Vince Weber, in town for the weekend, joined us on Saturday 2 June for a four-piano extravaganza. Pinch me, I'm dreaming!

No comments: